Heroine Archetypes

I was reading about them here when I stumbled upon the Waif. Not my favorite at all. In fact, this type is almost like an anti-heroine. But she used to be, in romances, a favorite. So I was thinking that she's outdated.
Back in the day women had to rely on men for a lot. Finances, a home, comfort. Think of the countries where a woman couldn't own anything! So I think the waif was popular because women could relate to her.
But now. . . in America a woman can do and have and say everything a man can. In theory, at least. I'm willing to bet very few women can relate to the waif. We're independent and that's the kind of heroine we want. A woman who's strong and makes decisions.
Adios waif! Let's come up with a new heroine.
Just my thoughts.

Comments

Jessica,

I think you're definitely right. The waif type wouldn't draw readers in in the least. But one fighting to get out of that type certainly would.

Popular posts from this blog

My Booty Hurts

Why Being Unpublished is Like Being Single

Freaking Out, Just a Little Bit