A Strange Phenomenon

Today I was at the end of a wonderful book. I had tears in my eyes during the "Black Moment". And then motherhood called. So I put the book down, waiting for bedtime to come so that I could finish it. Well, I had to run to the library to e-mail a contest entry. (I don't have Word, unfortunately.)
Guess what happened? Like an addict, I was lured to the fiction aisle.
And I rented the newest book by my favorite author. And then I had to resist reading it as I drove home. That's right. As I drove.
The funny thing was, I'd been obsessed with finishing the earlier book but once I saw this book I totally forgot about the first one.
It got me to thinking. Publishers, agents, and writers speculate on what really sells a book.
The cover? The blurb? The title?
I used to think the cover hooked me, then the blurb. But now I gotta admit, the name sold me. That is, the author.
After being so into the one book, I was pretty shocked when I suddenly wanted to toss it aside in favor of the newer book.

By the way, I finished Only Uni and it was great! Funny and deep. Really funny, actually. So I resisted temptation and now I'm glad I did.

But who knew a favorite author would be such a powerful hook?

Comments

Camy Tang said…
Thanks! I'm so glad you liked Only Uni!
Camy

Popular posts from this blog

My Booty Hurts

Why Being Unpublished is Like Being Single

Freaking Out, Just a Little Bit