Editor Stuff

I was moseying around Agent Kristin Nelson's blog when I stumbled across a link she'd put up. I clicked on it and discovered a fascinating interview with a famous editor.
Why famous?
Because the majority of his acquisitions became bestsellers.

This made me wonder what exactly goes into being a bestseller. Sure, I need to have a great story with great writing followed by great promotion. It's my idea and the execution of it, after all, that will (or not) create buzz.

But there's more to it than just me.

Editors really, really shape our stories. They see the things that need to be cut, the things that need to be added. They can hone a story to a fine-edged masterpiece. Are editors the "unsung heroes" of publishing? The secret force behind a book's failure or success?

What do you think?

Comments

Anonymous said…
VERY interesting post, Jessie. I read that interview with Chuck. He's amazing. Here's hoping we all end up with editors that passionate and aggressive with our work.

Secret force...hmmm. I couldn't say if editors are make-or-breakers, but they certainly can have an impact on things. Just like anyone who touches the work as it climbs the ladder to sellerdom.

I'm starting to think I'm going to have a REALLY REALLY long acknowledgements list in my first novel. Do you think two or three pages should suffice? :-)
Sarah said…
I think editors play a huge part in the marketability of a book, and probably don't get the praise they deserve. Not to mention all the other people working to make a book a bestseller.

You think Chuck would be interested in taking a look at some of my work? Lol!
Jessica Nelson said…
Hey Anita,
I think about my acknowledgment page too. I mean, there's all the people who have given me great feedback in contests and on RWC, and then there's writer friends... So many thanks,not near enough room.
Jessica Nelson said…
Hi Sarah,
Wouldn't hurt to try. LOL
How is the wip coming along?
Hi Jessica -

A professional editor, who's a good friend of mine, has taught me a great deal about writing. I'm blessed she's taken an interest in me.

Blessings,
Susan :)
Jessica Nelson said…
That is a blessing! Definitely helps speed up the learning process!
Karen Hossink said…
What do I think?
I am so incredibly thankful for my editor!!! She got me to change the title of my first book, and I cannot tell you how many times I thank God for giving her that insight!
Yep. A good editor is a major asset.
Jessica Nelson said…
Karen,
I LOVE the title of your book. It's so catchy and so true. I think I'm going to hop on over to your blog and say so :-)
Karen Hossink said…
Catchy and true - and relatable. The original title was true and fairly catchy - but not relatable, and I didn't see that.
Soooooo glad Christine did!
Thanks for letting me know you like it. *grin*

Popular posts from this blog

My Booty Hurts

Why Being Unpublished is Like Being Single

It Takes Time